I’m entrepreneurial by nature and I’m very passionate about people’s work lives. If we meet for the first time, my first question to you would probably be, “What do you do?”, followed by, “Do you enjoy it…?”
I believe we spend far too much of our lives at work to not enjoy what we do therefore I think we should make every effort to discover what I call our “inner vocation” – the work we’re truly passionate about and would do if money were no object – and build our career out of this.
As such my mission in life and is to help you do just that -
If through my writing and speaking I can inspire you to go after the career you really want, and equip you with the knowledge and tools to do so, then I’ll go to bed every night a happier person.
The best way to make sure you don’t miss a thing is to subscribe by email – this will also give you access to my free 45 minute audio interview on how to “land that job with a winning CV”.
I’m a writer by nature – it’s the one thing I’ve always been able to do from the time I was young. I graduated from London Metropolitan University in 2004 with a degree in Creative Writing and Film Studies, and I went on to train as a journalist two years later under a scholarship from News International.
My original plan was to follow in the footsteps of Rupert Murdoch and create a media empire, and while I did go down this road for a little while (including working for The Guardian), I diverted somewhat and ended up co-founding an award-winning raw foods business with my husband Malachi (Raw Love UK), before officially embarking on a semi-full time career as a careers speaker, writer and blogger.
My book 7 Keys to a Winning CV: How to Create a CV That Gets Results, was published by Harriman House in September 2011 and became the number one bestselling CV book on Amazon in May 2012. To get an idea of how the book can help you in your career, please read the customer reviews.
I also run a CV makeover service called CV Makeover Expert where my team and I help people create CVs, cover letters and application forms that land interviews. If you’re looking for the next move in your career and need help to make it happen, come and talk to us.
Some highlights of my career so far
- Started first ever business (a typing service) at the age of 13 with my older siblings;
- Created and published an inspirational magazine for young people aged 19 and in the second year of university, using £2,000 of my student loan;
- Became the Assistant Editor of bfm film magazine at the age of 21 having been promoted from Editorial Assistant in just three months;
- Studied journalism at top media institution, Harlow College, on a scholarship from News International;
- Worked as Commissioning Editor on The Guardian’s daily newspaper supplement, G2;
- Co-founded Raw Love UK in 2009 to spread the message of healthy eating through raw foods;
- Won “Best Business Vision 2009” for Raw Love UK at the very first Lambeth ‘Brand Piano’ female entrepreneurs scheme;
- Lambeth Business Awards 2010 finalist in two categories – “Best Young Entrepreneur” and “Best Women in Business”;
- Wrote “7 Keys to a Winning CV: How to create a CV that gets results” in seven days as my 2011 New Year’s resolution (admittedly the editing took a bit longer!);
- Regularly contribute to the Guardian Careers website as a CV expert.
7 things you probably didn’t know about me
- I’m older than I look.
- I am an introvert by nature – and no, it doesn’t mean what you think it does (read my blog post here).
- I like “old school” murder mysteries – Murder She Wrote, Columbo, Poirot, Miss Marple….you name it, I’ll watch it.
- I applied to be on The Apprentice 2012 and got through two rounds of the audition process….and then nothing…
- I could have been a professional athlete – I trained in 100m & 200m at a semi-professional level, and I used to do relay and long jump also.
- I could also be a lookalike for the noughties pop singer Jamelia – or so I’m told….too often…
- I was nearly a phone mugging victim – except I did a stupid/brave/heroic/crazy thing and chased the robber……